Saturday, October 22, 2011

B- Blossoming Lotus!


Here we are at Blossoming Lotus, our first vegan/live/raw food restaurant...I know, I know, altogether now: "only in Portland". It first started as a cafe connected to Yoga Pearl. I remember going there with Rose a few years ago and felt a little intimidated as the hard core yogis and militant vegans sashayed around. It's also quite awkward to eat your dinner in a hot yoga studio as sweaty people pass you by...weird. Thankfully, upon an assumed smash success and need for more space, Blossoming Lotus decided to move out and become an actual stand-alone restaurant near Irvington in NE.

This restaurant is a perfect example of what I LOVE about living in Portland. It's truly one of a kind. But first, let's address my initial skepticism. Who wouldn't have reservations (no pun intended) about a restaurant serving only vegan/live/raw food? What is "live" food exactly? Seriously, no meat? The pretentiousness alone of an all vegan restaurant had me rolling my eyes...and who can forget the scene in Sex and the City where the girls go to the raw food restaurant and Miranda likens her non-dairy, vegan ravioli to "kindergarten paste".

All skepticism was put to rest upon first bite of my delicious Crispy Thai bbq salad I shared with Jessica:
YUM. The soy curls were so delicious!

Naomi enjoying her "live" nachos
"Live" Falafel Wrap

Some of us arrived skeptics, all of us left happy and full. Thank you, Blossoming Lotus, for making vegan food approachable...and delicious! I think it's safe to say, if you keep serving up dishes like these, you will not have a problem wooing vegans and non-vegans alike. The latter of which may end up swearing off meat altogether!

No comments:

Post a Comment